Thursday, May 6, 2010

Blog #1

My book is Gravity Journal. It was written by Gail Sidonie Sobat. The book is about a teenage girl named Anise. She has anorexia. Her parents don't care at all about her. She was sent to a hospital, and put in the psycho ward. Anise has major problems, at the beginning she was cutting her self in her washroom because she thinks she is fat. When she arrives at the hospital she weighs 44 kg. Very early in the book she has written in her journal that she wants to commit suicide due to the fact that she thinks she is fat. She also cuts. She thinks that cutting her arms will ease away the pain of being fat. Anise often turns to her brother Marcel. Marcel tries to comfort her while she is in the hospital.

My initial reaction to the novel when I started to read was that I thought she was going to kill her self. I thought this because she was in the washroom cutting her self and it didn't explain why she was doing so.

I am really hooked on this novel. I'm shocked that anyone would hurt them selves for something that isn't even true. its fascinating because I don't know what she is going to do next and that keeps me reading on.

If you were in her situation, having this illness, having a family that doesn't care about you, what would you turn to ? who would you turn to ?

6 comments:

  1. I think that if I was in this situation I wouldn't turn to anything, I would just try to get the most help I can from doctors and people that are close to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I wouldnt turn to anything harmful for relief. As for who I would turn to, I would go to my friends and health professionals for support to overcome the illness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very much true, but in this case the girl (Anise) is at the hospital getting treatment and support from health care professionals, but her illness is taking over her, she isn't doing anything they say, and she just keeps doing everything that leads up to anorexia. So sometimes health care professionals aren't the way to go, sometimes you need someone that is very close to you that you can just burst out all of your emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. if i had an illness like this, i would turn to jesus christ for my support and pray for his forgivness in hope that i can get through it

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I was in this situation I don't know who I would turn to, especially if my family didn't care. I would seek the support of my friends and health professionals to get me through this difficult illness

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would be hard, because oftentimes people in Anise's situation don't realize that they need help. They need someone to tell them that they are in a dangerous situation. I would hope that I would have a friend to talk to and they would have the smarts to go to a guidance counsellor and get the help that I needed.

    ReplyDelete